Wednesday, May 7, 2008

I Want To Ride My Bicycle

Ok, I'm going to drift into politics for one second-HILARY SHOUD DROP THE HELL OUT OF THE RACE. She can't win, and if she insists on taking the Michigan/Florida issue to the mat she is going to destroy the party. Whew! That feels better.

I got the bike seat installed yesterday and took Jack for a ride up to Silver Lake Park. My little friend tolerated the seat ok but the helmet was the cause of quite a bit of consternation. He kept trying to remove it but could only get it ½ off, which meant it covered his face like a hockey mask and led to a general freak-out. Regular bike helmets aren’t really designed for those seats. If he leans back the helmet gets pushed forward over his face. I’m thinking that putting something behind his neck might be helpful. Frankly, if he fell out of the seat with the helmet on over his face he’d probably be worse off than if he had no helmet at all, but kids under 14 in New York have to wear a helmet or else the parents get a fine. I’m going to fiddle with it tonight and try again.

I am truly raising an urban baby. Whenever I take Jack to the park or anywhere there is grass, he makes a beeline for the nearest concrete path and then launches himself at a good clip after whatever happens to traveling thereupon; dog, baby, bicycle, etc. It must be easier for him to walk on a firm surface like concrete than on the grass, but the hiker/camper in me is a little concerned that he finds the hard manufactured trail more accommodating than the soft grass for his little feet. I’ll have to ensure that he spends more time on grass this summer.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

too late perhaps - but did you consider a front mounted seat like a WeeRide?