Tuesday, May 6, 2008

In the Garden

Last night after work I finally got around to heading down the hill to Girardi’s farmer’s market and picking up some herbs and flowers to plant on the back deck. I love the longer days of late springtime; you can get so much more accomplished. Ever since I put up a gate on the stairs leading off the deck I have let Jack run around out there, but it was looking a little bleak without any greenery, and the only thing he had to play with was a large rock which he kept dropping perilously close to his bare feet. I figured we could learn about plants and gardening together and give him something interesting he could chew on with no ill effects on his health or well-being. Yesterday while I was planting, Jack was investigating the potting soil and staring with wide-eyed wonder at the miracle of the garden hose. Last summer I wasn’t in the right frame of mind to engage in any gardening, but having fresh herbs to cook with in the summer is a wonderful thing so I’m more inspired this year, especially since I have been cooking a bit more. I feel like a semi-suburban version of the Barefoot Contessa, wandering around my Staten Island estate snipping basil and rosemary for use in complicated recipes. Tonight I will definitely tackle the bike seat. Really.

No comments: