Monday, May 5, 2008

Of Sippy Cups and 1/2 Marathons


What a nice week-end. I am pleased to report that I survived the Long Island ½ marathon with dignity and ligaments intact; finishing in 1:54.07, 953rd out of 3154 runners. For those who are interested in such things, that puts me in the top 30.2% of all finishers. In my age group, (men 40-44) I placed 116th out of 273, or in the top 42%. My age group is apparently full of aging male Gen Xers who are becoming more competitive as they start to fall apart physically. I admit that it felt good to blow past some of the kiddies towards the end of the race. Pacing and experience must count for something. I realized the other day that this is my 16th year running. That’s a lot of miles. Erin, Jack and Dimitri met me at the finish. Jack slept the whole time as I had the temerity to finish the race during his morning nap. The day before the race we all went to the cherry blossom festival at the Brooklyn Botanical Gardens. Jack and D-Train were very happy to be uncaged and tore around the gardens with wild abandon. There is a nice children’s garden where you can touch the plants and do experiments with leaves and water. Jack kept trying to eat bark and was more interested in pulling out all the signs than identifying plants, but hey, he’s only 15 months old. He also reached a major milestone this past week-he learned how to drink from a sippy-cup with a straw, thereby freeing daddy to drive with both hands on the wheel rather than trying to juggle bottle feeding, driving, drinking coffee and tuning the radio simultaneously. Good job son! Some time this week I’m going to try to install his bike seat and teach him to wear his helmet without ripping it off every two seconds. I love a good challenge.

No comments: